Thursday, March 18, 2010

Irish Soda Bread


Wow! I like to celebrate holidays by planning special foods. Not just Christmas an Easter, either. We celebrate any day that has earned special recognition: Flag Day, National Pie Day, etc. So, of course, I made Irish food last night for dinner. It doesn't matter that neither Mike nor I have any Irish heritage.
This was one of the best breads I'd ever made. It is hearty and sweet at the same time. Without restraint, I would have eaten half the loaf by myself last night!
Irish Soda Bread
1 1/2 c + 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c raisins
2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c buttermilk ( I used 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar and the remaining volume of milk)
3 Tbsp honey
1 tsp sugar
In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients, except the sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and honey, then pour over the flour mixture. Stir until the dough is mixed and not a second more. Sprinkle your work surface and hands with flour, then knead the dough seven time. Form the dough into a round loaf and mark with a cross hatch on top. Sprinkle suger over the bread. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes on a baking sheet prepared with non-stick cooking spray. Serves 10 (leprechauns I presume) for 2 points each.

No comments:

Post a Comment