Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hummus


I missed those Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars about an hour after lunch today...
I decided that I had three choices: a) make some other sweet treat in the name of research, b) make a healthy snack, or c) try to ignore the munchies. I eliminated option c right away since it doesn't work for long. Diets (denial of desires) don't work, as I learned while dropping 50 pounds. In the long run, substitutions and moderation work, along with writing what eat to prevent food amnesia, drinking lots of water, and exercising daily.

Today, I chose option b and made my first batch of Hummus. I love this dip when I spot it at parties. I'm the impolite one who takes more than my share, hoping the hostess has a second container in the fridge. I don't usually buy it on my own because I am allergic to spending $3 or more on a tiny tub of something.

Hummus
15 oz canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 c fat free sour cream
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp peanut butter (I don't have tahini)

Puree all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Enjoy with pita wedges or fresh veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment