Monday, April 5, 2010

Jambalaya


There is a sense of victory when you can transform leftovers into a completely different meal, don't you think? We really enjoyed this jambalaya made from leftover Easter ham. The flavor is rich and luscious, filled with exciting spicy flavors.
Nearby, we have a fantastic Cajun restaurant that inspired me to try my hand at making a thick, spicy jambalaya. It's one of the restaurants I often think about when my husband asks me where I'd like to go out to eat. They have a wonderful option where you can get a half serving of two different dishes. Usually, their jambalaya occupies half of my plate...

Jambalaya
1/2 c ham, cubed
1/2 c cooked chicken, cubed
1 Tbsp canola oil
2 celery stalks, diced
1/4 c onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
14 oz can diced tomatoes
8 oz can tomato paste
1/2 c chicken stock
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp thyme
dash Worcestershire sauce
dash or two Tabasco sauce
cooked rice for two people
Heat the oil in a pan at medium heat. Saute the veggies until they are tender, but not brown. Add all the ingredients except rice. Cover and simmer for twenty minutes, then stir in the rice. Serves 3 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment