Friday, April 23, 2010

Parmesan Risotto


One the the popular side dishes on cooking shows these days is risotto, a creamy rice dish made with arborio rice from Italy. Apparently, the rice releases its starch when stirred and cooked slowly. I thought it was about time to try to make some for our family, too. I like the idea of creamy food that doesn't actually contain cream. Plus, it's rice and cheese - at the top of my short list for ultimate comfort foods.


In graduate school, I had a thoughtful and hard-working roommate from Korea. Occasionally, we would both cook and share foods from home with each other. I was instantly hooked on her sticky rice and kimshee. Although it has been years since I've enjoyed kimshee, I love rice and could eat some every day (and sometimes twice a day). My husband has teased that I like rice the way some other women like chocolate. I thank Jean for that.


I'm happy to report that risotto is easy to make and well worth the stirring time. It made a fantastic accompaniment to tonight's meatloaf, but would also be delicious with a chicken or seafood meal. Just a hint, since you'll be adding chicken broth gradually, keep the chicken broth warm in a nearby pan. You don't want to keep lowering the temperature of the rice during its cooking time by adding cold chicken broth.


Parmesan Risotto
1 Tbsp margarine
1 c arborio rice
2 1/2 c chicken stock
1/2 c white cooking wine
1/3 c grated Parmesan cheese

Melt the margarine in the pan, then toast the rice for a few minutes. Add one cup of warm chicken stock. Stir the rice while it absorbs the liquid, then add another ladle of warm chicken broth. Keep stirring and repeat the liquid addition until all the chicken stock is absorbed. Then, add the white cooking wine. When that liquid is absorbed, stir in the cheese. Serves 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment